We had beautiful September lambs, 2016.

We had beautiful September lambs, 2016.

Monday, November 12, 2012

Layers

Over the past few weeks I've been setting wood posts with quikcrete and putting up cattle panels and gates. The corncrib is gone, yes - a wonderful sight.  However, the old foundation remains and will likely be standing 100 years from now.  So my post setting and fencing required some manuevering, relocating and altering.  Despite my careful measuring and marking, I ultimately had to completely move the location of some posts - which modified the size of a gate (from a planned 4 foot to an 8 foot) and required some overlapping of panels for security purposes. This gives the appearance of rows and layers - concrete strips and fence lines. At a glance, its hard to tell what goes where. The positive end result is another paddock up front and a nice run which makes it easier to move animals from the back to the front and vice versa. I was able to experience the ease of this process this morning.  It took me about five minutes to get the ewes from the way back pasture (where they've been with the ram) through the middle pasture and through the run into the front pasture - where they'll winter with the young ewes. Wow.  That was amazing.  It usually requires two or more people to coax one species into a building with grain, or to chase and separate them followed by the quick slamming of gates or doors. I think I'm going to like these layers of fences and gates - and supect I will truly appreciate them once real winter arrives.

No comments: