We had beautiful September lambs, 2016.

We had beautiful September lambs, 2016.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Tis the season ... again

Its strange to know that Christmas Day is exactly one week away.  For our family celebration, its only five days away.  We'll be celebrating this coming Sunday. Time just flies by.  People's schedules get busier and busier and weeks and months pass, and here we are at the "giving" time of year. I've done my family shopping, donated money to a worthy cause and am about to head to town to do my final holiday food shopping trip.  Each year I try to keep things simple, to not loose sight of the true meaning of the winter holiday - regardless of your religious choice.  But, I always find myself buying "one more" thing here and there and, suddenly, I find I have spent more than I'd planned and wonder if I'm "going overboard".  Granted, the recipients don't usually think so, but I hope that I am instilling the sense that giving is still more joyful than receiving. 

We have a winter storm heading our way.  Its supposed to be here around noon tomorrow.  In preparation, the animals will be situated so everyone has shelter with their food nearby and a water source somewhere within walking distance.  They'll be given extra food to tide them over into the next day - in case its too difficult to get to them due to blowing snow and cold.  Or, if its super cold, more to eat to generate plenty of body heat to keep them safely warm. Come the actual Christmas Holiday, we'll give everyone cut up apples and carrots and extra treats.  The horses love peppermint, so we'll toss a few candy canes into their mix.  I know they're not aware of the reason they're getting the extra special fare, but the "giving" it to them for us, brings joy in watching them eat.

These simple treasures that I have - the love of family, home and farm, having plenty of food and shelter for all, are the greatest gifts I could ever receive. As I hold all of the joys in my heart and arms, I am forever thankful for having them.  I can only imagine the pain and loss that many Connecticut families are experiencing at this time of year, and hope that they, too, will be able to have joy in this season. From Sunny Silver Maple Farm, we are wishing everyone a Happy Holiday season with much love, warmth and joy.

No comments: